Thursday, May 1, 2008

May Day


First day of fishing season. OK, not really. Most of the local trout streams are open year-round now, and for those who still insist on getting in elbow to elbow every year on April 1st, well, I think there’s a reason it coincides with April Fool’s Day. I like a little space while I fish.

Evening at the Willow Pool,
stone lithograph, image size 6 1/2 x 9 inches, from an edition of 125 hand pulled prints.

By the time May comes around, mud season is mostly over, water levels have dropped a bit, and the Hendrickson hatch is in full swing, with March Browns and Sulphers to follow. I had a great afternoon fishing with the Professor last week, and hope to slip in a couple hours this afternoon.



And as for May Day, Darby got a vase of Tulips this morning. And the Trillium is spread throughout the woods out back.

3 comments:

David Oleski said...

You didn't get me anything for May Day?

Richard C. Harrington said...

Sorry DO, my heart belongs to Darb.

Zach said...

Rick -
Like the blog...
I did some stocking on the Conewago in PA in April and did some great fishing this month. I got native brown and rainbows plus some of the stocked brookies. Looks like I will miss the shad run this year. Keep in touch....
Z